Monday, October 13, 2008

The Way Grandma Used to Do It


I tackled a new project today-canning. I have a ton of late growing tomatoes still on the vine and I don't want them to go to waste. Canning them for later is the perfect solution.

I remember my grandmother had an amazing garden when we were kids. She would gather the vegetables and can them for winter. It's wonderful and empowering to grow your own food. If you're interested in learning how to can tomato sauce, here's how you do it:

1. Prepare homemade tomato sauce to your preference.
2. Purchase canning jars. I like the Ball Quart Mason jars.
3. Boil the jars and lids to sterilize. Remove with tongs.
4. Dry the jars and lids well.
5. Ladel sauce in jar. Leave 1/4" inch space to the top of the jar.
6. Be sure to remove any visible air bubbles in sauce.
7. Carefully clean any extra sauce around the lid.
8. Put top of lid on center of jar. Press tightly with index finger in the center while you screw on the rest of the lid.
9. Close tightly.
10. Place can of tomato sauce in boiling water for 10 minutes to seal lid.

Voila! You're now a canner! It's surprisingly simple and made me wonder why I haven't tried it before. I'm learning to do things the way my grandma used to do. She treaded lightly on our earth, was more resourceful and less wasteful. Now I know why they say,"listen to your elders."

Be smart. Be bold. Be happi.
Molly

1 comment:

  1. Fun! Have you ever tried making your own pickles? That's a fun experience too!

    ReplyDelete