Tuesday, December 16, 2008

I'll Have a Green Christmas


Did you know that on average, we increase our waste over 25% between Christmas and New Year's? I'm not surprised with all the greeting cards, wrapping paper, boxes, bows, decorations and everything else we "treat" ourselves to during the holiday season. Christmas is my favorite time of year and I consider myself an elf in training, but want to do so more thoughtfully this year. Here's some ideas to green up your Christmas:

-Send digital greeting cards. I sent mine via Smilebox and I also love MyPunchbowl's ecard.
-If you just can't go digital yet, please recycle the cards you do get or make a scrapbook with the photos you receive.
-Think of creative ways to wrap or beautify gifts or recycle wrapping paper. I used to be embarrassed when my mom would save the paper, now I think she was brilliant!
-Think of items that can be reused--turn that cookie tin into a compliment box for the kids or hang the wine bag from a door handle to temporarily store little things that need to be returned to its place.
-Replace old-fashioned lights with energy efficient LED lights. We bought some that will supposedly continue to work even if one bulb goes out. Crossing fingers.

So Ho, Ho, Ho, and Merry green Christmas to you all.

Be smart. Be bold. Be happi.
Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment