Thursday, December 4, 2008

Vegetarian Meal Planning for Carnivores


One of my biggest challenges as a mom is healthy, easy meal planning. The monotony of planning three meals, two snacks a day for the next how many years is daunting. Add a twist--I’ve gone back to my vegetarian (I still eat fish so is this technically pescatarian?) roots while the rest of my family remain carnivores. Ahh, the dilemma.

My new favorite cookbook is Dr. Weil’s, The Healthy Kitchen. It’s easy, practical and everything we’ve tried has tasted great so far. My husband and kids are NOT into anything with tofu (I’m trying to sneak it in, but it’s not working) so we are eating a lot more fish these days to satisfy their need for meat.

A friend recently introduced me to the site GoVeg and it has a ton of great information and recipes. Beware, unless you’re ready to make some lifestyle changes with your eating, don’t visit the site. It clearly demonstrates the cruelty animals endure, which is the primary reason I’ve decided to keep the pork off the fork. Actually, did you know that pigs are smarter than most 3 year olds!? Yikes, that’s scary because I have a 3 and 2 year old at home and they don’t miss a beat. My all time favorite book is Charlotte’s Web, so that’s all I have to say about that—poor Wilbur!

Being a mom is a tough job as it is, but it’s even more difficult when you try to navigate the sea of chemicals, hormones, fillers, antibiotics and other garbage that pollutes our food supply. I hope we’ll reach a point of mass awareness for the issue so we can have a solution that is less destructive and healthier for us all.

Be smart. Be bold. Be happi.
Molly

1 comment:

  1. Me and my wife started in a strictly veggy diet 4 days ago. Until now, everything is fine. Some difficulties with the menu, but i think we'll go well.

    ReplyDelete