Wednesday, December 17, 2008

When Someone You Love is Sick


Everyone reacts differently when you get the news that a loved one is sick. My brother-in-law is fighting for his life with brain cancer. The individuals in our family circle have taken the news in their own, unique way.

My brother-in-law is handling each moment with patience and grace. I haven't heard a complaint from him once. I was reminded of his strength after I found myself complaining for hours about my broken toe when a jar fell on my foot. Clearly I have some growing to do.

My sister-in-law has started channeling the extra stress, frustration and grief into beautiful pieces of art. She'll sit for hours with her beads making colorful creations that she hopes to sell to raise money for his care. I've snapped a pic of the bracelet she made for me. If you're interested in one for yourself, you can email me. They are $30 and the money goes directly to Jamie's medical expenses. The bracelets are made from Swarovski crystals and sterling silver hardware--sparkly and lovely.

My husband and I got busy when we heard the news, (other than the toe whining incident) and are creating a NPO called OneDollarOneLife that is intended to help raise money for Jamie and other people who are fighting cancer. The concept is simple--a lot of people can have a big impact for just a buck each. We're testing the concept to see how far a dollar can really go. Can it save a stranger's life? Can it save a loved one? Can it save your own? The site will go live in early 2009.

Life often gives us gentle (and not so gentle) reminders that our time here is not guaranteed. So, make the most of each moment, tell your family and friends that you love them and do your part to care for our earth so others tomorrow can enjoy it the way we do today.

Be smart. Be bold. Be happi.
Molly

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post Molly! I'm so glad to hear your brother-in-law is doing well and can't wait to see the new site in January! Hope you're having a great holiday season!

    ReplyDelete